Friday, June 5, 2015

Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

2014- Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)



This film won Best Picture at the 2015 Academy Awards. It has taken me 4 months to finally watch this film. The reason it has taken me so long is that it just looked so incredibly STUPID. I am not sorry to say that. I have watched some of the other nominated films that were nominated along with this film before I finally gave up and watched Birdman. The ones that I watched were The Theory of Everything (which I LOVED), Selma (the film was ok but interesting. I really like the song Glory that was written for this film) and American Sniper (I actually really liked this one). I would have picked any of these films to win Best Picture.

To be completely honest I HATED this movie. Five minutes into the film I was like I have made a terrible mistake by watching this film but I have to watch if I want to say that I have seen every Best Picture winner. I am still trying to figure out why it won. I was talking to my mom about this film and why on earth anyone would pick this one to win and she told me that she thinks it's because it's about this has been actor who is trying to start back up his career after being Birdman for so long and since the people who decide who will win are made up of actors and people in the industry they can relate to that. Maybe there is other stuff in the film that made it a winner but what I watched was just a stupid movie that made no sense at times.

I really should be the one to decide who wins the Best Picture. The members of the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences can pick the winners in all the other categories but leave the Best Picture category to me. To be honest a lot of films that I have seen for this blog would not have won if I was in charge. For example Birdman, The English Patient, The Hurt Locker, The Departed, The Silence of the Lambs, and a whole lot more would have won. I would have picked The Theory of Everything to win Best Picture for 2015. It was so good. I would recommend watching it as well as American Sniper. The Theory of Everything is about the life of Stephen Hawking. I am just really happy that Eddie Redmayne won Best Actor for portraying Stephen Hawking. He did just a great job in the film.

The blog is getting a little long so I need to wrap this up. In closing I would say watch any other film other than Birdman!

No comments:

Post a Comment