Friday, April 25, 2014

1972, 1971 and 1970 Best Picture winner is...

It's been a while since my last post and I also never got around to blogging about the 2014 Academy Awards. To be honest this years Academy Awards was so so. There were not any movies or even actors/actresses that I really was hoping to win. There were a few people that I didn't want to win but there was really no one that I really wanted to see win and that also goes with the Best Picture nominees. I still have not watched the 2014 Best Picture winner but it is on my list to do so.

 I felt like there were way too many movies nominated for Best Picture this year. I think 9 pictures is too many to pick from. I think the academy should just have the top 5 movies for this category. I really think I should be in charge in deciding what movies are nominated for Best Picture. If it was up to me the following movies would not have been nominated: The Wolf of Wall Street, Her, Gravity, American, Hustle, Nebraska, and Philomena and Dallas Buyers Club. I have my reasons for picking pretty much every film that was nominated and my reasons may sound silly to others so I am not going to explain them. Also I don't think many people even read this blog so I guess I won't have to worry about people questioning my reasons.

For the Best Actor/ Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress there was no one that I was really hoping to win. If I had to pick someone from those categories their names and reasons are listed below.

Best Actor:
Christian Bale: I didn't like any of the other nominees so that is why I picked him. I like the Leonardo DiCaprio from Titanic but I don't like who he has turned out now. I also don't think he is as cute as he was in Titanic. And yes I know that Titanic was made 20 years ago and of course he is going to be better looking then. I REALLY can't stand Matthew McConaughey so I was a little upset when he won. I also don't think he is that great of an actor.

Best Actress:
Sandra Bullock: I like her and I think she does a great job. I didn't see her in Gravity and to be honest I plan to never watch it. It just looks so incredibly boring even though I heard a lot of people liked the film.

Best Supporting Actor:
Barkhad Abdi: I really didn't like the other nominees and I had to pick some one. We both have birthdays in April and I am exactly 1 day older than him. I was a little upset when Jared Leto won cause he is just weird and crazy and I don't think he is anything special.

Best Supporting Actress:
Julia Roberts: I have always liked Julia Roberts and I think she does a great job. There are some movies of hers that I don't care for but I still like her. Can we also say HALLELUJAH that Jennifer Lawrence didn't win. I CAN NOT STAND her. I don't understand all the hype going on about her. I don't think she is all that great.

Well I better stop talking about this years winners and nominees and get into the early 70's Best Picture winners

1972- The French Connection



I was so bored watching this movie. I actually fell asleep during the movie but I didn't realize I did until I woke up and saw that the movie was over. I seriously groaned (maybe cried a little too) when I realized I had to re-watch it so that I could write about it. The only interesting thing about this film is that it is based on a true story. To me it was very slow pace movie. I guess growing up in a time where everything is so fast paced in movies that anything slower than what I am used to seems boring. I had a hard time watching and seeing why this movie won for Best Picture. Fiddler on the Roof was nominated for Best Picture with this movie and I would have rather watched that movie than this one. It was a so so movie to me. If this movie was on T.V. I would find anything else to watch. Some people might actually like this film but I am not one of them.

1971- Patton



This is another movie that I was bored watching. I think if I was interested in this type of movie genre or even in history/military/WW II I  might have enjoyed this movie but since I am not interested in those things I was pretty bored. I fell asleep watching this movie as well and had to re-watch it. There are some movies about WW II that I liked such as Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List. Yes I know both these movies are about a horrible time in our history but I believe they were made very very well. I can say that I have seen Patton but believe me I will never watch it again.

1970- Midnight Cowboy

 
I wouldn't say that I liked this movie but I wouldn't say that I hated it either. It was just so so. Jon Voight plays a cowboy from Texas who moves to New York to become a hustler. I know that it is a movie and not real but who on earth decides that they are going to grow up and become a hustler? I want to know what made this character decide to go into that type of "field". Dustin Hoffman is in this movie and he plays a crippled con man and even though he plays a sleazy character I kind of liked his character. I couldn't stand Jon Voight's character. I thought he was a buffoon. There is a scene in the movie that these two characters are talking and Dustin Hoffman's character says that all cowboys are gay and Jon Voight tells him that cowboys are not gay and would he (Dustin's character) say that John Wayne is gay. I thought that was interesting cause Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman were nominated along with John Wayne for Best Actor in 1970 and John Wayne won for Best Actor. I know that the saying was put into the movie way before they were nominated but I still thought it was interesting trivia.

There have been 86 Academy Award shows and I have watched 44 Best Picture winners. I just have 42 movies left to watch. It has been a lot of fun blogging about these movies.

Coming Attractions: 1969, 1968 Best Picture winners.



No comments:

Post a Comment